Monday, January 16, 2012

Rund Four=Robyn Ringler

In the essay, Letter to Al Pacino, I liked how Ringler actually wrote her essay as a letter to Al Pacino,giving the essay a more personal feel.  She expressing how, even though it was super exciting to meet him, there were multiple other things that were just as memorable that happen in everyday life, like someone dying, or seeing an amazing play.  I liked how Ringler summed up her letter; "Life and death are real. Love is real. New York City is real. And you are real."  These sentences pull together the whole point of the letter in just a few words.  In the essay, Letting Go, Ringler shares her experience about dealing with cancer.  She keeps a personal tone throughout, trying to convey how she took a strong liking to Gloria, comparing their lives (which were similar, at least in age).  You can feel how much she cared for Gloria and Gloria cared for her; "Despite sedation and pain medication, her eyes cried out as she sat forward, reaching for me with both arms. grasping the outstretched hands, I stroked her back and eased ice chips into her mouth."  In the last essay I read, Dissection, Ringler talks about how she had a scary bout with a swollen artery  in her brain that could have potentially caused major problems for her; "...I was in danger of having a stroke...My head overflowed with images of the worst-case scenario-paralysis, blindness, my family living on without me."  After reading the essays and the biography, it seems as though Ringler has had a very eventful life.  Reading the biography makes the essays feel a little more personal from a readers point of view.




1/12 Speaker=****

No comments:

Post a Comment